Monday, November 10, 2014

Spooky

After playing a couple of bass tracks on this new project I realized that I have reached the apex of my bass playing potential and invited my oldest not-yet-alienated friend in this world (according to him, since I simply don't remember us hanging out in elementary school), Sergei Olkhovsky, known to the Bering Strait fans as Spooky, to join the process.
First we tried to send each other music files like it's 21 century, but the only good thing that came out of that kind of a remote creative process was an unexpected balalaika part he snuck into one of my songs (for as long as I can remember I have rejected Spook's balalaika part offerings, so he had to hide his intentions this time). 
So one Friday night in August I invited Sergei to our house for a session of music making and beer drinking:
Many hours later our creative process looked a little differently:
All together we cut eight songs that night, but some had to be finished later in a more professional setting:
I love how serious they look in this last shot. 
Ultimately, we realized that one thing that we couldn't record in our bedroom studio were my vocals. Microphones used for that purpose are very sensitive, and someone is ALWAYS cutting grass in our neighborhood, so we had to abandon our ambitious plans to cut the whole thing at home and put on non-pajama clothes to work. Bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home